Nishant Alphonse IRUDAYADASON
Born on 30 January 1971
Nishant Alphonse Irudayadason, born on 30 January 1971, is a professor of Philosophy at Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth: Pontifical Institute of Philosophy and Religions (JDV), Pune, India. After having completed his doctoral studies on Postmodernity and Ethics at Université Paris-Est, France, he has been actively pursuing academic life. He is currently the Chairperson of the doctoral programme in the Faculty of Philosophy at JDV. His regular courses include Research Methodology, History of Contemporary Philosophy, Ethics, Politics and Hermeneutics. He has presented research papers in many National and International Conferences. He has authored two books and more than 20 articles in National and International Journals as well as in edited books. He is a regular contributor to contemporary political analysis in “Light of Truth,” a bimonthly published from Kochi, Kerala. He is also the Director of JDV Centre for Applied Ethics.
- Post Doctorate : Boston College, Massachusetts, US (2008-2009)
- Doctorate in Philosophy, thesis in French, defended on 14 November 2008 Université Paris-Est & Institut Catholique de Paris, France
- Master’s (DEA) in Philosophy, thesis in French, defended on 24 Nov. 2004 Université Paris-Est & Institut Catholique de Paris, France
- Master’s in Philosophy (MPH), thesis defended on 18 Mar. 2002 Jnana Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pontifical Institute of Philosophy and Religion, Pune, India
- MA in Political Science (Distance Education) Madurai Kamaraj University, Tamilnadu, India
- Bachelors in Theology (BTH) Jnana Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pontifical Institute of Philosophy and Religion, Pune, India
- Bachelors in Philosophy (BPH) Jnana Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pontifical Institute of Philosophy and Religion, Pune, India
- BA in English Litterature Madurai Kamaraj University, Tamilnadu, India
- Study of Classical Languages St. Peter’s College, Madurai, India
- Reader, Faculty of Philosophy, Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune (since June 2009)
- Visiting Professor, Morning Star College, Kolkata (since June 2010)
- Chairperson of Doctoral Committee (since October 2011)
- Director, JDV Centre for Applied Ethics (since January 2012)
- Hermeneutics. Pune: JDV, 2001.
- Penser un monde par-delà les frontières. Sarrebruck: Editions Européens Universitaires, 2010.
- “The End of Ethics?: Interface between Ethics and Postmodernism.” Jnanadeepa: Pune Journal of Religious Studies, Vol. 5, No. 1, January 2002, pp. 97-111.
- “Debout dans la lumière, accueillons le salut de Dieu.” La revue de VEA: D’un congrès à l’autre. No. 285, November 2005.
- “La sagesse hindoue pour une spiritualité cosmique: une lecture herméneutique de Purusha-sûkta de Rig-veda 10.90.” Spiritus. No. 190, November 2008, pp. 107-120.
- “Tears That See… Do You Believe? Derrida’s Deconstructive Reading of Husserl and Levinas.” Relation and Relativity: Studies on Moral Issues. Festschrift in Honour of Rev. Dr. Felix Podimattam, OFMCap. Edited by Johnson Puthenpurackal. Delhi: Media House, 2010, pp. 21-59.
- “Treasuring the Word: Biblical Hermeneutics in Priestly Ministry.” Jnanadeepa: Pune Journal of Religious Studies. Vol. 13, No. 1, January 2010, pp. 4-25.
- “The Virtue Forgiveness.” AUC: Asian Journal of Religious Studies. Vol. 55, No. 5, September 2010, pp. 4-25.
- “Ethics, Postmodern,” ACPI Encyclopaedia of Philosophy, Vol. 1. Edited by Johnson Puthenpurackal. Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2010, pp. 471-475.
- “Death,” ACPI Encyclopaedia of Philosophy, Vol. 1. Edited by Johnson Puthenpurackal. Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2010, pp. 365-368.
- “Construction and Deconstruction of History: Foucault and Derrida at Crossroads on the History of Madness.” History and Historizing: Philosophical Reflections. Edited by John Peter Vallabadass. Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2012, pp. 59-87.
- “The Im-possible Justice: Exploring the Meaning of Authenticity in Derrida’s Philosophy of Justice to-come.” Authentic Existence: A Philosophical Probe. Festschrift in Honour of Dr. Johnson Puthenpurackal, OFMCap. Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2012, pp. 349-368.
- “The Wonder Called Cosmic Oneness: Towards Astroethics from Hindu and Buddhist Wisdom and Wolrdviews.” Encountering Life in the Universe: Ethical Foundations and Issues and Social Implications. Edited by Chris Impey, Annah H. Spitz and William R, Stoeger. Arizona: The University of Arizona Press, 2013, pp. 91-115.
- “Response to the Unbound Prometheus: Hans Jonas’ Affirmation of Responsibility in Technological Age of Unbridled and Uncontrolled Development.” Jnanadeepa: Pune Journal of Religious Studies. Vol. 16, No. 2, July 2013, pp. 38-54.
- “Lack, Desire and Insatiability.” Identity, Difference and Conflict: Postcolonial Critique. Edited by Victor Ferrao and James Ponniah. Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2013, 284-302.
- “Folly by another Name: Foucault and Lyotard on Knownledge,” Committed to the Church and the Country, Reflections on Christian Living in India in Honour of Professor Kurien Kunnumpuram SJ. Edited by Kuruvilla Pandikattu, James Ponniah, Thomas Kuriacose. Pune: ISPCK/JDV 2013, pp. 133-147.
- “Revisiting Hent de Vries’ Religion and Violence.” Satya Nilayam: Chennai Journal of Intercultural Philosophy. No. 24, October 2013, pp. 144-156.
- “Wisdom Grafting Faith and Reason.” Jnanadeepa: Pune Journal of Religious Studies. Vol. 17, No. 1, January 2014, pp. 180-188.
- “Hoping for Justice in a World of Economic Injustice: Reflection on the concept of the Other in Emmanuel Levinas.” Jeevadhara. Vol. 44, No. 260, pp. 95-112.
- “Awaiting with the Incantation ‘Come!’: Weaving a Tapestry of Hope from Derrida’s Messianicity and Justice.” Divyadaan: Journal of Philosophy and Education. Vol. 25, No. 1, May 2014, pp. 43-60.
- “An Indian Paradigm for Interreligious Dialogue: Contributions of Swami Abhikshitananda (Dom Henri Le Saux).” Theologien in ihrer kulturellen Prägung: Beiträge zum inter-religiösen Dialog in Indien und Deutschland. Edited by In Rene Dausner and Joachim Eck. Regensburg: Verlag Friedrich Pustet, 2014, pp. 136-146.
- “Geopolitics and Development.” The Dynamics of Development: Negations and Negotiations. Edited by Keith D’Souza. Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2014, pp. 113-134.
SIGNIFICANT ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
- Presented a Paper on “Recontres des religions et cultures indiennes,” at Missions Etrangères de Paris, France, September 2005.
- Presented a Paper on “Les trios voies de liberation,” in the National Congress of Vivre de l’Evangile Ensemble Aujourdhui held in Avignon, France, November 2005.
- Presented a Paper on “L’herméneutique de Purusha-sûkta de Rig-veda 10.90” at Institut catholique de Paris, France, October 2007.
- Participated in the Fifth International JDV Pune-Insbruck conference in Pune on Quest for Human and Cosmic Fullness, August 28-31, 2009 organized by Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune.
- Presented a paper on “Nanotechnology: Moral Challenges and Opportunities,” at the International Symposium in Lonavala on Nanotechnology: The Master of Science and the Mystery of Religion, January 1-5, 2010 organized by the Indian Institute of Science and Religion.
- Presented a paper on “Evolving an Ethics of Nanotechnology,” in a conference in Goa on Nanotechnology, February 12-13, 2010 organized by Sangam and St. Xavier’s College.
- Presented a Paper titled “Knowledge from Postmodern Perspectives” on 28 October 2010 for the National Seminar organized by IGNOU in Delhi on the theme Philosophy and Distance Education: Innovations in Knowledge Infusion.
- Presented a Paper titled “Genomics: Science, Philosophy and Culture” in a conference organized by AIACHE in Pune, May 04, 2011.
- Presented a Paper titled “Philosophy, Religion and Violence: A re-reading of Hent de Vries,” in JDV-SN Seminar organized in JDV, Pune, October 01, 2011.
- Presented a Paper titled “Construction and Deconstruction of History” in a conference on the theme History and Historizing organized by ACPI in Good Shepherd Seminary, Kunnoth, October 26, 2011.
- Organized the annual De Smet-de Marnaffe Memorial lecture on behalf of the Faculty of Philosophy on the topic “With and Beyond Plurality of Standpoints: Sociology, Theology and the Sadhana of Multi-Valued Logic, Living and Transversal Co-Realizations,” by Dr. Ananta Giri on January 20, 2012.
- Delivered Lectures on “Spirituality in the Age of Postmodernity” to the Bombay Laity as part of Lay Theology Programme held in JDV, February 2012.
- Organized the annual De Smet-de Marnaffe Memorial lecture on behalf of the Faculty of Philosophy on the topic “Thomas Berry and The Influence of Hinduism on the Emergence of the New Story, Tracing and Seeking Links between Teilhard de Chardin, Berry’s Interpretation of Hindu Mystical Insights, and the Convergence of Science and Religious Insight in Berry’s Later Works” by Prof. Christopher Key Chapple on June 15, 2012.
- Presented a Paper on August 12, 2012 titled “Addressing the Ethical Issues of Development: A Study on Jonas’ Imperative of Responsibility” in a conference organized by Research in Values and Philosophy, Washington DC on the theme Tradition, Development and Freedom at Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune from August 11-13, 2012.
- Delivered Lectures on October 26, 2012 on the topic “Moral Issues of Life from the Perspective of Christian Faith” to the Bombay Laity as part of Lay Theology Programme held in JDV October 2012.
- Presented a Paper on October 29, 2012 titled “Lack, Desire and Insatiability” in a conference organized by ACPI on the theme Identity, Difference and Conflict: A Postcolonial Critique at Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune from October 26 to 29, 2012.
- Presented a Paper on October 03, 2012 titled “Revisiting Jonas’ Ethics in the Era of Technological Civilization” in a conference organized by PHADE, Roumania with JDV Centre for Science and Religion on the theme Wisdom in the Emergence of Technological Era at Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune from October 26 to 29, 2012.
- Presented a Paper on January 04, 2013 titled “Tracing an Indian Paradigm for Interreligious Dialogue from the Life and Works of Swami Abhikshitananda (Henri Le Saux)” in a conference at the University of Eichstätt, Germany.
- Presented an observation paper on October 13, 2013 titled “Wisdom Grafting Faith and Reason” in a two-day inter-faculty Seminar organized on Faith, Reason and Wisdom: Towards an Integral Approach to Religious Studies at Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune from October 12 to 13, 2013
- Presented a Paper titled “Development and Geopolitics” on 27 October 2013 in the Annual Seminar of the Association of Christian Philosophers of India on the topic Dynamics of Development: Negations and Negotiations held in St. Charles Seminary, Nagpur from 25 to 28 October 2013.
- Organized workshop on behalf of JDV Centre for Applied Ethics in JDV on the topic Spiritual Pragmaticsby Dr. Ananta Giri, Madras Institute of Development Studies and Dr. Frederic Vandenberghe, Instituto de Estudos Sociais e Politicos, Brasil on January 27, 2014 .
- Organized the De Smet – de Marneffe Memorial International two-day Conference in JDV, Pune on 31 January and 1 February 2014 on the topic Themes and Issues in the Western and Eastern Hermeneutical Traditions and Presented a Paper titled “Celebrating Difference: In Search of a Common Space” on January 1, 2014.
- Presented a Paper titled “Technology and Democracy” on 4 February in the International Seminar on the topic Science, Technology and Values organized by JDV Centre for Science and Religion in collaboration with Indian Institute of Science and Religion.
- Delivered Lectures on February 03, 2014 on “UN Guidelines for Medical Ethics” at Transworld Education Academy in Pune.
- Delivered Lectures on February 28, 2014 on the topic “The Political Philosophy of Thomas Aquinas” at the Department of politics and Public Administration in the University of Pune.
Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Nagar Road, Pune – 411 014, India
Mobile : +91-9028761251
Email : email@example.com
Nationality : Indian