Fr John Karuvelil SJ
Date of Birth: 2-4-1964
- BPh (Bachelor of Philosophy), Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune, 1992
- BTh (Bachelor of Theology), Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune, 1998
- Licentiate in Moral Theology, Accademia Alfonsiana, Rome, 2004
- PhD (Doctorate in Sacred Theology), Boston College, Boston, 2010
- BA (English Hon), Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, 1990
AS A TEACHER OF THEOLOGY
- At present I am full-time faculty (lecturer) at Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth: Pontifical Institute of Philosophy and Religion, Pune, India. I teach various courses in Moral Theology. I have taught courses on General Moral Theology in the academic years 2004-2005 and 2005-2006. From 2010 onwards teach courses on Bio-Medical Ethics, Theology of Marriage and Sexual Ethics, Biotechnology and Ethics, and Issues in Theological Bioethics both at the graduate and undergraduate levels.
AS AN EDUCATOR AND ADMINISTRATOR
- At present I am the Head of the Department (HOD) of Pastoral and Moral Theology at Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth (JDV).
- I am the Animator of the Students’ Council at JDV (JDVSC), which has four distinct branches – academic, cultural, literary and social. The Students’ Council is takes care of the various extra curricular activities and organizes various functions at the institution.
- I was the Administrator cum Treasurer of Loyola High School, Bhubaneswar, Orissa, from July 2001 to June 2002. During the same period I also taught Spoken English at the National Institute of Social Work and Social Sciences (NISWAS), and also at Human Life Centre, Bhubaneswar, Orissa.
- I was the Administrator cum Treasurer of Human Life Centre, a vocational training centre for college youth in Balasore, Orissa, and taught Spoken English from July 1999 to July 2001.
- I was the Prefect of Studies and teacher of English at St. Paul’s Minor Seminary, Padanpur, Orissa, from June 1994 to March 1995.
- I was the coordinator of “Secretarial Course” and Assistant Administrator cum teacher of Spoken English and Personality Development at Human Life Centre, a vocational training centre for college youth in Bhubaneswar, Orissa, from June 1992 to June 1993.
AS A CATHOLIC PRIEST
- Served as Assistant Parish Priest at St. Xavier’s Church, Ruthungia, Orissa, from June 1998 to July 1999.
- Had varied pastoral experience as I helped at St. Vincent’s Cathedral Church, Balasore, Orissa, from July 1999 to July 2001.
- Had varied pastoral experience at Holy Cross Parish at Pesaro, Italy, during two summers of 2003 (from June 20 to September 15) and 2008 (June-July).
- Helped regularly at Confessional at the Shrine of Divino Amore, Rome, from September 2003 to September 2004.
- Karuvelil, John. “Discipleship in the Gospel of John I.” Indian Journal of Spirituality XI, no. 2 (June 1998): 214-245.
- Karuvelil, John. “Discipleship in the Gospel of John II.” Indian Journal of Spirituality XI, no. 3 (September 1998): 371-392.
- Karuvelil, John. “Indian Health Care System under the Scanner: An Ethical Reflection.” Dyana: Journal of Religion and Spirituality 11, no. 1-2 (April-October 2011): 131-147.
- Karuvelil, John. “Institutionalizing Ill-Health: Corruption and Health Care in India.” Asian Horizons 6, no.1 (March 2012): 70-86.
- Karuvelil, John. “Dignity of Women and Elective Abortions in India: An Ethical Reflection.” In Moral Theology in India Today: The DVK National Workshop on Moral Theology, ed. Shaji George Kochuthara, 589-626. Bangalore: Dharmaram Publications, 2013.
- Karuvelil, John. “Justice and Common Good in Public Health: A Contextual Reflection for India.” (To be published by the Association of Moral Theologians in India, 2013.)
- Karuvelil, John. Participation is the Path to Sustainable Development: Developmental Projects and Involuntary Displacement in India. In Just Sustainability: Technology, Ecology, and Resource Extraction (Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church series (Vol.3), eds. Andrea Vicini, S.J and Christiana Z. Peppard. Maryknoll (NY): Orbis Press, 2014.
- Participated in the international conference of “Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church” held in Trento, Italy, from July 24 to 27, 2010.
- Participated in the annual conference of the ‘Association of Moral Theologians in India’ held in Goa from Oct. 29-31, 2011, and presented a paper on “Corruption in Health Care in India.”
- Participated in the National Workshop on Moral Theology in India held at Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram: Pontifical Athenaeum of Philosophy, Theology and Canon Law, Bangalore, India, from July 12-25, 2012, and presented a paper titled “Dignity of Women and Elective Abortions in India: An Ethical Reflection.”
- Organized the annual conference of the ‘Association of Moral Theologians in India’ at De Nobili College, Pune, from Oct. 28-30, 2012 and participated in the same.