FR MOHAN DOSS SVD
Educational Title : Professor
Date of Birth : 16-12-1957
Place of Birth :Vettavalam, Tamil Nadu, India
Languages : English, Tamil, German, Hindi and Telugu
- Ecclesiatical Studies
- BPh (Bachelor of Philosophy), Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune, 1979-81.
- BTh (Bachelor of Theology), Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune, 1982-85.
- MTh (Master of Theology), Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune, 1989-91.
- Secular Studies
- BA (Economics/Sociology/Political Science), Mysore Univ., Mysore, 1975-78.
- MA (English Literature), Osmania University, Hyderabad, 1987-1988.
- MA (Social Systems/Sociology), Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 1991-1993.
- STD., Albert-Ludwigs University, Freiburg i. Br., Germany. February 2000. (“Pneuma-Christology: Contemporary Discussions on Spirit-Christology”)
- Research Scholar in Cultural Anthropology, Pondicherry Central University, Puducherry, since September 2011.
- Nominated as a Student Representative on the Senate of the University of Mysore, 1977 (One of the first students to become a University Senator).
- Merit Scholarship for the Post Graduate Course in Sociology, Jawaharlal Nehru Univeristy, New Delhi, 1991.
Courses Presently Teaching at JDV (2014-2015)
- Theology of the Holy Spirit
- Theology of the Christ Event I (Christology I)
- Theology of the Christ Event II (Christology II & Trinity)
- Contemporary Questions in Christology (PG Course)
- Theology of the Christ Event (Certificate Course)
Courses Taught in the Past at JDV
- Theology of Ministry
- Theology of Faith and Revelation
- Indian Christian Theology
- Sociological Questions and Theological Responses
- Movements in Theologizing: Enlightenment to the Present (PG Course)
- Women Doctors of the Church (Certificate Course)
- Sacraments for Today (Certificate Course)
- Mission, Education and Research – India (MER) from 2000 –
- Editorial Board, Yesuvin Arulmozhi (Tamil Monthly) from 2011- April 2014.
- SVD Formation Board-India, from 2002 to 2008 and from 2011 – April 2014.
- Member JDV Centre for Science and Religion Board (JCSR)
- International Network of Anthropos Institute, from 2010 –
- “Gandhi – An Inspiration and Challenge to World Religions.” Ishvani Documentation & Mission Digest VIII/2 (June-August 1990), 49-66.
- “Ecological Concerns: An Indian Christian Response.” Jnanadeepa: Pune Journal of Religious Studies 9/1 (January 2006), 85-100.
- “Migrants in Theological Perspective: Strangers No More.” in: Migration and Mission in India. L. Stanislaus SVD and Jose Joseph SVD (eds.), Delhi: ISPCK, 2007, 197-222.
- “Jesus: A Paradigm for a Spirituality of Solidarity.” in: Led by the Spirit: Mission, Spirituality an Formation. Mohan Doss (ed). Delhi: ISPCK/ DWS, 2008, 140-156.
- “Promoting an Eco-just Community: An Interfaith Exploration.” in: Promise of Indian Pluralism and Solidarity. Joy Thomas SVD, Victor Z. Sagayam SVD and Donald D’Souza SVD (eds), Pune: Ishvani Kendra, 2011, 150-183.
- “Transhistorical Consciousness: A Panikkarian Analysis.” in: Raimon Panikkar: Being Beyond Borders A Commemorative Volume. ACPI Special Series 2, ed. by Johnson J. Puthenpurackal, Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2012, 163-178.
- “The Holy Spirit and the Mission of the Church.” in Come, Holy Spirit. Joseph Mathew and Sudhir Kumar (eds.), Secunderabad: Sanjeeva Sadanam Society, 2012, 53-74.
- “Jesus: The Listener.” Asian Journal of Religious Studies 57:3 (May 2012): 10-21.
- “Jesus’ Culture of Leadership.” Asian Journal of Religious Studies 57:5 (September 2012): 6-18.
- “Christian Icons: Insights and Challenges.” in: Social Action as Mission: prophetic Interventions in Human Promotion and Integrity of Creation. Joy Thomas SVD and Victor Sagayam Zckarias SVD (eds.), Mumbai: St. Paul Society, 2013, 251-285.
- “Holy Spirit.” in: A Concise Encyclopaedia of Christianity in India. Errol D’Lima (ed.), Mumbai: JDV & St. Pauls, 2014, 428-431.
- “Dalit Theologie.” Die Anregung 47, (January 1995), 28-34.
- “Hypergamy and Its Inherent Contradictions.” Anthropos 90 (1995), 51-56
- “Gandhian Understanding of Prayer: Sensitivity to God and to Others.” Studies in Interreligious Dialogue 1996/2, 129-144.
- “Das Kastenwesen und die Kirche in Indie.n” (The Caste System and the Church in India). Zeitschrift fuer Missionswissenschaft und Religionswissenschaft 80/4, (1996) 255-264.
- “Jains and Entrepreneurship.” The Mankind Quarterly 27/1, (Fall 1996), 77-91.
- “Weihnachten in Indien.” Die Anregung 49 (Dezember 1997), 499-501.
- “Matted Hair: A Master Symbol.” The Mankind Quarterly 27/4, (Summer 1997), 443- 456.
- “The Role of Tradition in Modern Societies: A Sociological Discourse.” The Journal of Social, Political and Economic Studies 22/4 (Winter 1997), 433-445.
- “Evans-Pritchard and Segmentary Structures among the Nuer: A Reappraisal.” The Mankind Quarterly XLI/2 (Winter 2000), 155-172.
- “Geist-Christologie.” in: Lexikon für Theologie und Kirche (LThK) Bd 11. (2000), 87-88.
- “Jains and Entrepreneurship: Interplay of religion and society towards economic progress.” in: Religion, Society and Economics. Kuruvilla Pandikattu and Andreas Vonach (eds.), Frankfurt: Peter Lang, 2003, 193-208.
- “Religious Practices of Narikoravas.” The Mankind Quarterly, Vol. 45. No.5 (Summer 2005), 381-388.
- “Experience and Expression of the Divine: A Folk Religious Perspective.” in: Cross-cultural Encounter and Expression of the Divine. Mohan Doss and Andreas Vonach (eds), Innsbruck: Innsbruck University Press, 2009, 65-80.
- “Rituals of Life: A Study of the People of Kalvarayan Hills.” The Mankind Quarterly 51/3 (Spring 2011), 297-329.
- “Jesus and Life in Fullness.” in: The Quest for Human and Cosmic Fullness. Mohan Doss and Andreas Vonach (eds.), Innsbruck: Innsbruck University Press, 2012, 115-132.
- “An Asian Vision of Interreligious Dialogue: Emerging Pathways from the Federation of Asian Bishops’ Conference (FABC Documents).” in: Theologien in ihrer kulturellen Praegung: Beitrage zum inter-religioesen Dialog in Indien und Deutschland. Eichstaetter Studien NF-72. Rene Dausner / Joachim Eck (eds.), Regensburg: Verlag Friedrich Pustet, 2014, 147-175.
- Christ in the Spirit: Contemporary Spirit Christologies. Delhi: ISPCK, 2005.
- Led by the Spirit: Mission, Spirituality and Formation. (ed.), Delhi: ISPCK, 2008.
- Cross-cultural Encounter and Expression of the Divine. Mohan Doss and Andreas Vonach (eds.), Innsbruck: Innsbruck University Press, 2009.
- The Quest for Human and Cosmic Fullness. Mohan Doss and Andreas Vonach (eds.), Innsbruck: Innsbruck University Press, 2012
- Popular Publications based on Scientific Research
- “Fu Shenfu: Living example.” The Examiner, Vol. 154/39. September 27, 2003, 9-12.
- “Arnold Janssen: An Apostle of Our Times.” Maharashtra Herald, Pune, October 4, 2003, 9.
- “Arnold Janssen: A Fool or a Saint.” The Word Among Us, 1/4, Nov. 2003, 49-53.
- “The Resurrection of Jesus.” Poona Diocesan Life. Vol. 28, No. 269, April 2011, 5-8. Trans. in Marathi: “Aarth Christachya Punruthanacha.” Trans. Sanjay Bahlerau, 24-26.
- “Seminary Pune: Past, Present and Future.” Divine Word: Missionaries Magazine, Summer 2007, 12-14.
- “Minor Seminary: Nurturing the Seeds of Priestly Vocation.” Charles’ Apostolic School Trichy Memoirs, 1961-2011. Jeyaseelan and Others (eds.), 2011, 17-19.
- “Iraiyarasupaniyil Iraivarthaisabai” (Divine Word Society in the Service of God’s Reign). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, September 2011, 9-11.
- “Indiya Mannilae Iraivarthaisabai” (Divine Word Society in India). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, October 2011, 6-9, 24.
- “Solaivana Ullangale’ (Generous Hearts). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, November 2011, 5-9.
- “Theevanath Thottiyil Kulandaiyaga Iraivan” (God as a Child in the Manager). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, December 2011, 5-8.
- “Arulmozhikkai Avaniyelae – Punitha Arnold Janssen” (For the Word in the World – St. Arnold Janssen). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, January 2012, 5-7.
- “Yezhundu Nada” (Get up and Walk). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, March 2012, 4-6.
- “Yesuvin Ueirppilae Malarum Nam Vazhu” (Our Lives Bloom in the Resurrection of Christ). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, April 2012, 4-5.
- “Varum Thuya Aviae Varum” (Come Holy Spirit, Come). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, May 2012, 4-6.
- “Thevaiyanadhu Onre – Manasu Kaiyalavu” (Only One Thing Is Needed – Our Hearts Are Small). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, June 2012, 4-6.
- “Yarudaya Manaivi?” (Whose Wife Will She Be?). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, July 2012, 4-6.
- “Mariyalin Vinnerppin Arumbugal” (Emerging Buds from Mary’s Assumption). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, August 2012, 4-7.
- “Mannil Malarndha Vinnagamae” (Heaven Bloomed on Earth). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, 2012, 4-6.
- “Oru Varthai” (One Word). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, October 2012, 4-6, 8.
- “Pesinal Oru Penn” (A Woman Spoke). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, November 2012, 4-6, 8.
- “Nalla Seithi Iivarkallukka Muthalil?” (Good News To Them First?). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, 2012, 4-6, 8.
- “Yennakku Theriyalae” (I Don’t Know). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, January 2013, 4-5.
- “Vazhi Kannden Vizhi Koddu” (Found the Way, Give me Sight). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, August 2012, 4-6, 17.
- ‘Porratta Vazhvu Poonthottamaga” (Struggling Life as a Flower Garden). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, October 2012, 4-6.
- “Kadvulum Kanithamum” (God and Mathematics). Yesuvin Arulmozhi, November 2012, 4-6.
- “Pallangal Thedum Paravaigal” (Birds that Search for Bridges) Yesuvin Arulmozhi, 2012, January 4-6
CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS
Associate Organizer of International/National Conferences
- International Conference on Cross-cultural Encounter: Experience and Expression of the Divine, at the University of Innsbruck, Austria, May 16-20, 2007.
- International Seminar (SVD) on Creative Ministries, Divine Word Seminary, Pune, January 12, 2008.
- National Seminar (SVD) on Formation for Mission, Divine Word Seminary, Pune, January 13, 2008.
- International Conference on Quest for Human Fullness and Cosmic Fullness: A Multidisciplinary Enquiry, at Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune, August 28-31, 2009.
Papers Presented at Important International/National Conferences
- Presented a paper on “Jainism and Entrepreneurship: Interplay of Religion and Society towards Economic Progress” at the 2nd International Joint JDV-Innsbruck Conference on “Religion, Society and Economics” at Innsbruck, Austria from 29th May to 2nd June 2002.
- Presented a paper on “SVD Formation in India Today” in Asia-Pacific Formators’ Assembly at Cebu, Philippines from 24th to 30th November 2004.
- Presented paper on “Migration: Theological Perspective” at the National Colloquium (Mission, Education and Research) on “Migration and Mission” organized by Ishvani Kendra, Pune, from 31st October 31 to 2nd November 2006.
- Presented a paper on “Experience and Expression of the Divine: A Folk Religious Perspective” at the 4th Joint JDV-Innsbruck International Conference on “Cross-cultural Encounter: Experience and Expression of the Divine”, Innsbruck, Austria from 16th to 20th May 2007.
- Presented a paper on “Jesus and Fullness of Life” at the 5th Joint JDV-Innsbruck International Conference on “Quest for Human Fullness and Cosmic Fullness: A Multidisciplinary Enquiry” at Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune, from 28th to 31st August 2009.
- Presented a paper on “Cultural Celebrations of Life: Rituals of a Hill Tribe” at the Chotro Third Conference on “Local Knowledge-Global Traditions” organized by Developing Countries Research Centre, Delhi University, Bhasha Research and Publication Centre and The Association for Commonwealth Literature and Language Studies from11th and 12th September in Delhi and from13th to 16th September in Chail, Himachal Pradesh, 2010.
- Presented a paper on “Promoting an Eco-just Humanity: An Interfaith Exploration” at the National Colloquium on “Indian Pluralism and Solidarity for a more Just Humanity” organized by Ishvani Kendra, Pune from 6th to 8th January 2011.
- Presented a paper on “Transhistorical Consciousness of Raimon Pannikar” as the Inaugural Lecture of the academic year at SVD Vidya Bhavan (Philosophate), Bhopal on 17th July 2011
- Presented a paper on “Transcendence and Tangibility: A Folk Religious Perspective” at the Chotro Fourth Conference on “Imagining the Intangible: Languages, Literature and Visual Arts of the Indigenous” organized by The Association for Commonwealth Literature and Language Studies and Bhasha Research and Publication Centre, Vadodara 6th to 8th January 2012.
- “The Holy Spirit and the Mission of the Church”, Father Bernhard Memorial Lectures, organized by the Sanjeeva Sadanam Society of the Holy Spirit Fathers, Hyderabad, May 21-22, 2012.
- “Christian Icons: Insights and Challenges”, at the National Consultation on ‘Human Promotion and Integrity of Creation’, organized by Ishvani Kendra, Pune, August 05-09, 2012.
- “An Asian Vision of Interreligious Dialogue: Emerging Pathways from the Federation of Asian Bishops’ Conferences (FABC Documents)”, at the International Symposium on ‘Interreligioeser Dialog aus Indischer and Deutscher Perspektive’, organized by Katholische Universitaet Eichstaett-Ingolstadt and JDV, Pune, Eichstaett, January 8-9, 2013.
- Research Guided
“Flames of Faith: A Christological Reading of the Suffering, Hope and Mission of the People of Kandhamal.” JDV, Pune, October 2014.
- Research Examiner
“Land Alienation of Dalits in Arnakonda Panchayat of Telangana: A Socio-Theological Enquiry.” Department of Christian Studies, University of Madras, November 2014.
Post Graduate Defence Dissertation:
- “Creative Fidelity: Amaladoss’ Contribution to Indian Theology”, March 2003.
- “Western Monasticism in Interaction with Indian Spirituality: the Contribution of Thomas Merton and Bede Griffiths”, March 2003.
- “Encountering Christ in All: The Significance of Benedictine Hospitality for Today’, March 2003.
- “Jesus: A Paradigm for Relationships”, March 2007.
- “Towards a Planetary Eco-Ethics: A Cosmotheanthropic Eco-Ethics in the Ecozoic Age” March 2009.
- “Prophetic Model of the Church: Towards a Community of Prophetic Participation”, March 2009.
- “Jesus Christ: A Challenge in the Context of Dalits’ Oppression in Tamil Nadu”, March 2011.
- “Creative Faithfulness: A Study of the Christological Models of Jacques Dupuis and Raimon Panikkar”, March 2012.
- “Dialogue as Mission: A Christological Imperative for the Church in Malaysia”, November 2012.
- “Prayer and Work: A Benedictine Perspective and its Relevance”, March 2013.
- “Liturgy of Life: Aloysius Pieris’ Interpretation and it’s Implication”, March 2014.
- “Kenotic and Cosmic Christ: A Christological Response (Phil. 2:6-11 and Col. 1:15-20) to the Contemporary Challenges presented in Evangelii Gaudium”, March 2014.
- “Mary A Woman of Dialogue: A Model and Inspiration for Women Empowerment in India”, March 2014.
- Professor, Dept of Systematic Theology, Faculty of Theology, Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth (JDV): Institute of Philosophy and Religion, Pune 411014, India (Lecturer from June 2000, Reader from November 2005 and Professor from 2013)
- HOD, Department of Systematic Theology (from 2006 to 2009; from 2011 – October 2013)
- Chairperson of the Doctoral Committee in the Faculty of Theology (from 2012 – October 2013 )
- Academic Senate Member, JDV, Pune (from 2006 to 2009; 2011 to October 2013)
- Coordinator for JDV-Leopold-Franzens-University Innsbruck Partnership (from Sept 2004 – August 2010)
- Coordinator (Interim) – MTh Systematic Theology, JDV, Pune (in 2007 & from December 2011 – October 2013)
- JDV Trust Member, JDV, Pune (from 2009 – September 2014).
- Rector, Divine Word Seminary, Pune (from 2002 to 2008)
- SVD Pastoral Course Coordinator (from 2011 – April 2014)
- Member of the Society of the Divine Word (Mumbai Province; First Vows 06-06-1979; Ordination 05-05-1985)
- Dean, Faculty of Theology, JDV, Pune (from November 2014 – )
FR MOHAN DOSS SVD
Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth: Pontifical Institute of Philosophy and Religion,
Ramwadi, Nagar Road, Pune 411014, India