Library is a place where collection of books, periodicals and other information resources are stored and preserved for the use of its members. The JDV Library is one of the more important Philosophy-Theology libraries in India. It contains about 100,000 books and about 25,000 volumes of bound periodicals. It subscribes about 300 journals and weeklies. It also subscribes ATLA (American Theological Library Association) E-Journals. Most of the material is in English. There are also some in Indian vernacular languages and in Foreign language. The library also has about 44 multi-volume encyclopedias. We also have palm-leaf manuscripts and rare books collection dating 16th and 17th century.
Library Working Hours
|Monday – Friday||Saturday|
|Reading & Reference||08.00 am to 01.00 pm
02.00 pm to 05.30 pm
|8.00 am to 01.30 pm|
|Issue & Return||08.30 am to 12.30 pm
02.30 pm to 04.00 pm
|08.30 am to 01.00 pm|
|Students||No. of Books||No. of Days||No. of Renewal|
|Diploma & Degree||5||15||15|
- JDV Identity Card is mandatory for all library services. Please use your Identity Card for check- in and check-out from the library. No books will be issued or taken back unless the Identity Card is produced.
- All users are expected to leave their personal belongings, etc. in the lockers, to the left of the entrance, before they can proceed further into the Library.
- Students are not allowed to take periodicals, bound or single, or reference books out of the Library.
- If a professor reserves some books for a course, these are to be referred to only in the Reading Room.
- Anyone can reserve a book already lent out and can claim it at the end of the expiry period. If a reserved book is not claimed after two days, it will be returned to the stacks or will be given to the next reserved person.
- A book can be reissued to the same person, after the borrowing period is over, if it has not been reserved by someone else.
- A borrower is supposed to return the book on the given due date or if needed can reissue the book. If a borrower fails to return the book on the given due date we will be charging a fine of 1 Rupee per day per book.
- New books will be displayed in the library for two weeks. Displayed books can be reserved by the students. New periodicals will be kept on display till the arrival of the next issue of the respective periodical.
- All users have access to the stacks. After browsing please, do not replace the books taken from the stacks, but leave them at the nearest Library Table for the Library Staff to do the needful.
- Borrower of a book is not allowed to exchange it to another.
- All books are to be returned before the start of vacations. Anyone who fails to do so is liable to being debarred from subsequent exams.
- Non-JDV students may use the Library only with the permission of the Librarian. However, no lending or borrowing facilities can be extended to them.
1. Fr. Biju Vadakkumchery, SJ – Librarian
2. Dean, Faculty of Theology
3. Dean, Faculty of Philosophy
4. Dr. Nishant A Irudayadasan
5. Dr. Henry D’Almeida, SJ
6. Dr. M. Paul Raj