Enter your keyword

President’s Message

JNANA-DEEPA VIDYAPEETH (JDV) is the name given to the Pontifical Athenaeum in Pune in its Revised Statutes of 1972. The Pontifical Athenaeum has a history going back to 1893 when Pope Leo XIII founded the Papal Seminary in Kandy, Sri Lanka, and entrusted its direction and administration to the Society of Jesus. The charter of 27 July 1926, issued by the Holy See, elevated the Papal Seminary to the status of a Pontifical College with the rights and privilege of conferring the Baccalaureate, Licentiate and Doctorate in both Philosophy and Theology. In the Statutes of 1940, approved by the Congregation for Catholic Education, the Pontifical Athenaeum, comprising the Faculties of Philosophy and Theology, was given an autonomous status with its own academic and administrative setup. In 1955 the Papal Seminary-and, with it, the Papal Athenaeum was transferred from Sri Lanka to Pune, in close proximity to De Nobili College, the Jesuit “formation house”, which was already in existence in Ramwadi. The then Jesuit Superior of Pune supervised the transfer and relocation to Pune. Thereafter, the Pontifical Athenaeum, which until then catered almost exclusively to the seminarians of the Papal Seminary