Fr George Karuvelil SJ
Date of birth: 21-09-1954
- PhD University of Delhi, Delhi, 1992-96
- MPhil (Master of Philosophy), University of Delhi, Delhi, 1990-92
- BTh (Bachelor of Theology), Vidyajyoti, Delhi, 1986-89
- BPh (Bachelor of Philosophy), Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune, 1981-83
- MA (Master of Arts), University of Poona, Pune, 1984-86
- BA (Bachelor of Arts), University of Ranchi, Bihar, 1979-81
- 1996 : Faculty of Philosophy, Jnana Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune.
- 2002 : Jeevalaya Institute of Philosophy, Bangalore (visiting)
- 2008 : Dharmaram Vidyakshetram, Bangalore (visiting)
Edited Book : Romancing the Sacred? Towards an Indian Christian Philosophy of Religion (Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2007)
Articles (chronological) :
- “Knowledge and Religious Consciousness,” Journal of Indian Council of Philosophical Research (JICPR), September 1993.
- “Epistemic Justification and the Possibility of Empirical Evidence,” JICPR, September 1994.
- “Flew’s Challenge: Logic to Universal Semantics,” The Journal of Religious Studies, Autumn 1994.
- “Some Problems in the Epistemology of Religion,” Job Kozhamthadom (ed.), Interrelations and Interpretation, (New Delhi: Intercultural Publications, 1997
- “Hierarchy, Equality, and Liberation: Some Reflections on Indian Culture,” Jnanadeepa: Pune Journal of Religious Studies, July 1999.
- “Re-Visioning Epistemology,” JICPR, September, 1999.
- “Constructing God: A Contemporary Interpretation of Religion” The Heythrop Journal, January 2000.
- “Gandhi on Religion in Public Life,” Kuruvilla Pandikattu (ed.) Gandhi: the Meaning of the Mahatma for the Millennium, Washington D.C.: The Council for Research in Values and Philosophy, 2001.
- “What Happened to Human Longings? A Reading of the History of Western Epistemology,” Disputatio philosophica: International Journal on Philosophy and Religion, no. 3. 2001.
- “Radical Hermeneutics or Pre-hermeneutic Nostalgia? A Critique of John Caputo’s Philosophy of Religion,” Jnanadeepa: Pune Journal of Religious Studies, 5.1 January 2002.
- “Science-Religion Dialogue: The Cognitive Issues,” in Vidyajyoti Journal of Theological Reflection, November, 2004.
- “Reflective Equilibrium,” in Johnson Puthenpurackal (ed.), Philosophical Methods: Through the Prevalent to the Relevant, Bangalore: ATC, 2004.
- “The Irrelevance of Subaltern Studies in India,” in George Thadathil (ed.), Subaltern Perspectives: Philosophizing in the Indian Context, Bangalore: ATC, 2005.
- “Rationality of Mysticism: A Methodological Proposal,” in Journal of Dharma, Vol.30, 4 (October-December, 2005).
- “The Contemporary Ecological Crisis: Tracing its Emergence,” Jnanadeepa: Pune Journal of Religious Studies, 9:1 (January, 2006)
- “Love and God-Talk,” Vidyajyoti Journal of Theological Reflection 70, no. 5 (2006): 326-41.
- “Religious Pluralism: A Philosophical Critique,” in Johnson Puthenpurackal (ed.), Pluralism of Pluralism: A Pluralistic Probe into Philosophizing, Bangalore: ATC, 2006.
- “Metatheology: Mediating Christianity in the Contemporary World,” in La Filosofia Como Mediacion, edited by Philippe Capelle, 115-21. Mexico: COMUICAP and Univeridad Iberoamericana, 2007.
- Religious Experience and the Problem of Access.” In Romancing the Sacred? Towards an Indian Christian Philosophy of Religion, edited by George Karuvelil. Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2007.
- “Thomistic Philosophy of Perception.” In Pratyaksha Prama, edited by Goswami Shyam Manohar and Goswami Sharad, 232-46. Mandvi, Kach: Sri Vallabhacharya Trust, 2007.
- “Religious Life in the Light of Deus Caritas.” Asian Journal for Priests & Religious 53, no. 6 (2008): 617-28.
- “Transcendence-Immanence: An Essay in the Hermeneutics of Religion and Culture,” in Culture as a Gift and a Task: Philosophical Reflections in the Indian Context, edited by Keith D’Souza. Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2008.
- “Missing the Wood for the Tress.” The Heythrop Journal L (2009): 31-43.
- Multiculturalism and Postmodernism. In Hermeneutics: Multicultural Perspectives, edited by E. P. Mathew. Chennai: Satya Nilayam Publications, 2009.
- The following articles in ACPI Encyclopedia of Philosophy, edited by J. Puthenpurackal. Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2010: “Experience”, “Epistemology (Western)”, “Secularism”.
- Wrote the following lessons for the B.A. (Philosophy) program of Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU): “Naturalized Epistemology and the H-D Method”, “Epistemology: Critical Appraisal and Synthesis” 2010.
- Wrote the following lessons for the M.A. (Philosophy) program of Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU): “Semantic Holism and Radical Interpretation”, “Epistemic Holism and Theory-laden Observations”, “Popperian Method and Naturalized Epistemology”, “Perception Naturalized”, “Introduction to Atheism/A-theism” (2011-12).
- Religious Pluralists: What are They Upto? Journal of Dharma 35 (1):3-22, 2010
- Mysticism, Language and Truth. Journal of Dharma 35 (3):259-275, 2010.
- Religious Experience: Reframing the Question. Forum Philosophicum: International Journal for Philosophy 16 (1):139-155, 2011.
- Absolutism to Ultimacy: Rhetoric and Reality of Religious “Pluralism”. Theological Studies 73 (1):55-81, 2012.
- Science of Religion and Theology: An Existential Approach. Zygon: Journal of Religion & Science 47 (2):415-437, 2012.
- The Vision of Fullness in Natural Mysticism. In Human and Cosmic Fullness: A Multidisciplinary Approach, edited by M. Doss and A. Vonach. Innsbruck: iup – Conference Series, 2012.
- Philosophy and Theology. Divyadaan: Journal of Philosophy and Education 24 (2):217-238, 2013.
- Indian Secularism and Hinduism. Vidyajyoti Journal of Theological Reflection 78, no. 1 (2014): 8-25
- Christian Faith, Philosophy, and Culture: The Triumphs and Failures of Wisdom. Jnanadeepa: Pune Journal of Religious Studies 17, no. 1 (2014): 101-18
- Editorial and Afterward to the Jnanadeepa issue on “Faith, Reason, and Wisdom” (January 2014)
Conferences, Presentations :
- “Models of Theology in the Asian Context”, Paper presented at a Seminar on Mission in Asia in the third Millennium, Models for Integral Human Liberation conducted at Yogyakarta, Indonesia in April, 1999.
- “Mediation as Metatheology”, Paper presented at the Second World Conference of COMUICAP, in Mexico, September, 2004.
- “Thomistic Theory of Perception”, Paper presented at a Seminar on Perception jointly organized by Sri Vallabha Trust and the University of Poona at Pune, in 2003.
- Presented a paper on “Love and God-Talk” in a Seminar on God-Talk: Contemporary Trends and Trials held at Dharmaram Vidyakhetram, Bangalore in November, 2005
- Presents papers regularly at the Annual Meetings of the ACPI, and are published in its proceedings.
- Participated in the ICPR National Seminar on Dialogue and Debates: Engaging with Philosophical Hermeneutics, held at the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Madras, in February 2007 and presented a paper “Hermeneutics and Epistemology: the Case of Perception”.
- Participated in the International National Seminar on Truth, Interpretation and Language: Critiques and Reconstructions, held at the Department of Philosophy, University of Mumbai in March 2007 and presented a paper “A Case of Hermeneutic Explanation”.
- Participated in the joint JDV-Innsbruck conference in May 2007 and presented a paper on “Missing the Woods for the Trees: A Critique of Proudfoot’s Philosophy of religious experience”
- Participated in the joint JDV-Innsbruck conference in September 2009 and presented a paper on “The Vision of Fullness in Natural Mysticism”.
- Participated in the joint JDV-SN Inter-faculty Seminar on “Relevance of Religion in Contemporary India” and presented a paper on “Indian Secularism and the Myth of Hinduism” (October, 2011).
- Gave keynote address “Science, Philosophy and Theology” to the National Conference on Philosophy and Religion: Appraisals and Reconstructions held at Sophia College, Mumbai, 18-19th December 2012.
- Participated in the joint JDV-Innsbruck conference in September 2012 and presented a paper on “Snobocracy, Mobocracy, and Democracy”.
- Participated in a Seminar organized by JDV on “Faith, Reason, and Wisdom” and presented a paper on “Faith, Philosophy, and Culture” (October 2013).
- Made a presentation, “Towards a Philosophy of Christian Faith” to the teaching staff of JDV (September, 2014)
- Made a presentation, “Dharma of Jesus: Exploring its philosophical foundations” in the seminar organized by JDV on “Dharma of Jesus” (October 2014)
- Participated in the Annual Conference of ACPI and presented a paper “The Necessity of Symbols in Religion: An Analytic Perspective” (October 2014)
- 1992-95: Junior Research Fellow, Indian Council of Philosophical Research.
- 1991—: Member, Association of Christian Philosophers of India.
- 2000-01: Lonergan Fellow, Lonergan Centre, Boston College, USA.
- 2003-09: Member of the Executive Committee, Association of Christian Philosophers of India.
- 2009-10: International Visiting Fellow, Woodstock Theological Center, Georgetown University, Washington D.C., U.S.A.
- 2013—: Chief Editor, Jnanadeepa: Pune Journal of Religious Studies
Served and serves Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth (JDV) in various capacities as Head of the Department of Systematic Philosophy, Co-ordinator of the M.Ph. Program; Member of various committees like the Executive Committee, Doctoral Committee etc. and Dean of the Faculty of Philosophy (since 2006-09); Member of the Jnana-Deepa Trust from 1998-2008.
Address: Papal Seminary, Nagar Road
Ramwadi, Pune – 411014