Fr Vazhapilly Sebastian SJ
Date of Birth: 18-11-1959
- PhD, Mysore University, Mysore
- MTh, Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium
- BTh (Bachelor of Theology), Vidyajyothi, Delhi
- BPh (Bachelor of Philosophy), Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune
- BA (Bachelor of Arts), Gujarat University, Gujarat
- Lecturer at Jnana-Deepa Vidypeeth, Pune
- Visiting faculty at Gujarat Vidya Deep, Gujarat
- Visiting faculty at Inter Congregational Juniorate, Bhopal
- “Cultural Mediation from the Perspective of Bernard Lonergan.” Intersectiones, Vol. 1 (1998)
- “Theological Method: Relating Theology and Common Sense.” in Vidyajyoti, Vol. 65, no. 9 (September, 2001): 677-689.
- “Cross-Cultural Encounter and the Construction of the ‘Other’.” in Third Millennium, Vol. VII (July-September, 2004): 36-55. Reprint:
- “Tracing the Development of Upadhyay’ Nationalist Thought.” in Jnanadeepa Vol. 11, no. 1 (January 2008): 38-54.
- “Christ in Gujarati Poetry.” Jeevadhara Vol. XXXVIII, no. 225 (May 2008):232-246.
- “Gandhi and the Standardisation of Gujarati.” in Economic and Political Weekly Vol. XLIV, no. 31 (1August, 2009): 94-101.
- “Language Standardisation, Inequalities and Cultural Marginalization.” Ishwani Documentation, (2009): 142-154.
- “Cultural Elites and the Disciplining of Bhavai” in Economic and Political Weekly Vol. XLIV, no. 7 (15 February, 2014): 59-66.
- “Adivasis and the Anthropological gaze.” in Economic and Political Weekly Vol. L, no. 40 (3 October, 2015): 35-43.
Articles in Books:
- “Relevance of Gandhian Praxis in Empowering Women.” in The Meaning of the Mahatma for the Millennium, (ed.) Kuruvilla Pandikattu (Delhi: Maadhyam Book Services, 2000): 109-134.
- “Theologizing in Tribal Traditions: Relevance of ‘Worldview’ as a Conceptual Category.” in Christ among the Tribals. eds. Hrangkhuma and Joy Thomas, FOIM XI (FOIM, 2007): 95-117.
- “Implications of Brahmabandhab Upadhyay’s Cultural Nationalism and Construction of identity.” in A Hindu-Catholic: Brahmabandhab Upadhyay’s Significance for Indian Christian Theology (Bangalore: Asian Trading Corporation, 2008): 28-54.
- “Cultural Constructions of Indian Christian Theology: Exploring its Presuppositions and Implications,” in Indian Theologies: In Search of methods and Models for Theologizing, (ed.) Mathew Jayanth (Pune: Jnana-Deepa Vidya Peeth, 2017).
- (2018): “Census and Colonialism: Tracing the Roots of Religious Demographic Anxieties,” in Lancy Lobo and Jayesh Shah (ed.) Religious Demography: Myths and Realities in India (Jaipur: Rawat Publications): 113-133.
- (2018): “Idealising and Valuing Human Dignity,” in Kuruvilla P and Jose V M (ed.), Francis Effect (Pune: Papal Seminary): 34-38.
Research Papers Presented:
- “Construction of National Space: Brahmabandhab Upadhyay’s Contribution to Bengali Nationalism.” A research paper presented at Goethals Research Institute during National Seminar on “Christian Contributions in Bengal,” on 23 January, 2006, in Calcutta.
- “Tribal Worldview and Christian Mission.” A research paper presented at the FOIM Conference on “Tribal Context and Mission” at the South Asia Institute of Advanced Christian Studies, Bangalore on 26 April, 2006.
- “Implicit Theology of Religions and Proto-Inclusivism of Brahmabandhab Upadhyay.” A research paper presented at Vidyajyoti National Seminar on Upadhyay, January 22, 2007, Delhi.
- “Church’s Engagement with Civil Society and Taking Political Initiative: Brahmabandhab Upadhyay’s Challenge to Church in India Today.” A research paper presented at Indian Theological Association, Bangalore, on 21-25 of April, 2007.
- “Upadhyay’s Concept of Hindu-Catholicism.” Keynote address given at the Chair in Christianity, Mangalore University, Mangalore, 24th October, 2007.
- “Regional Identity Constructions of Gujarat in Colonial Context: Configurations and Contestations.” A research paper presented at the National Conference on “Region, Literature, Culture: Issues and Stakes,” by the Department of English, Faculty of Arts, the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, March 18, 2008.
- “Temporal Calibrations, Racial Anxiety and History: Reading of Narmad’s ‘Downfall of the Hindus’ in the Context of identity Constructions.” A research paper presented at the National Seminar on “The Revisions of History: Region, Literature and Culture,” during 20-21 March, 2008, at the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda.
- “Reading the Classics: Construction and Constitution of the Classical and the Classics as Privileged Access to Cultural and Epistemic Domains.” A research paper presented at the National Seminar on “Reading and Interpretation,” conducted by Centre for Contemporary Theory, Vadodara, on 27-28 November, 2009.
- “Cultural Constructions of Indian Christian Theology: Exploring its Presuppositions and Implications.” A research paper presented at JDV, Pune Seminar on “Indian theological Methods,” on 5 February, 2010, in Pune,.
- “Conceptualizing Inequalities and Coping Strategies in ‘Everyday Life’.” A research paper presented at the International Conference, on “Globalization, Culture and Society: Challenges, Policies and Interventions,” at the Department of Sociology, Pune University on 23-25 February, 2010, in Pune.
- “Anxiety over ‘Hindu Degeneration’: Interface between Identity, Fear and Temporal Consciousness in the Nineteenth Century Reformist Thought.” A research paper presented at the International Conference on “Fables of Fear,” organized by the Centre for Performance Research and Cultural Studies in South Asia, during August 7-8, 2010, in Thrissur.
- “Contemporary Indian Urbanism and the Restructuring of Space.” A research paper presented at the International conference on “Contextualizing the Contemporary in Culture,” organized by IIT Madras and the Centre for Performance Research and Cultural Studies in South Asia, during February 1 and 2, 2011, at IIT, Chennai.
- “Configurations of Gujarati Asmita: Linguistic Contestations and Identity Constructions in Gujarat.” A research paper presented at the International Conference on “Social Imagination in Comparative Perspective: Languages, Cultures and Literatures,” during 3-6 March, 2011, organized by the Central University, Gandhinagar and Comparative Literature Association of India, in Gandhinagar.
- “Colonialism, Indian Classics and the Constructions of the Textualized Past.” A research paper presented at the National Seminar on “Revisiting the Classics: Text, Context and (Re)Interpretation,” during March 25-26, 2011, Organized by Nirma University in Association with Gujarat Sahitya Academy, in Ahmedabad.
- “Orality and Literacy: The Technologizing of the Word – A Discussion.” A discussion paper presented at the Colloquia on ‘Orality and History,’ during 8 October, 2011, at the Department of English, Faculty of Arts, Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda.
- “Politics of Cultural and Linguistic Identity in the Context of Constituting Gujarat as a Region.” A research paper presented at the National Workshop on “Reading the Region: Scholarship and Popular Domain in the Context of Gujarat,” during 16-17 March, 2012, at the Department of English, Faculty of Arts, Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Address: Papal Seminary
Nagar Road, Ramwadi
Pune – 411 014